Goji Wolf Berrries Herbal Information
ALSO KNOWN AS
China, Tibet, Nepal.
TRADITIONAL HERBAL USES AND MEDICINAL PROPERTIES
So traditionally Goji berries / Wolf berries have been taken as the quintessential tonic for longevity. They are thought to nourish YIN in the body, having a cooling and nourishing effect. They are the perfect daily tonic for modern living, which is said to create too much heat, fire and YANG in the body. Although they have been used in traditional Mongolian, Tibetan and Chinese medicine for 1000s of years.
They are a super nutritionally dense food having anti-oxidant & anti-aging properties They are thought to greatly promote these conditions:
Maintaining healthy liver and blood pressure function
Improves eye and ear function
Balances blood sugars
Nourishes vital essence, bone marrow and tendons
Reduces morning sickness
Reverses free radical damage.
FOLKLORE AND HISTORY
" The Bao Shu Herb store recorded a wolfberry elixier that promotes longevity..The formula was passed on to an elderly man… who lived for over 100 years, this man could walk extremely fast as if he was flying, and his grey hair turned black again. The herb is mellow and can be taken often to eliminate excessive heat in the body, and will also improve vision" La Shiz Hen, Chinese Physician, published in 1593 AD.
The famous Chinese LI Qing Yuen lived to 252 years old and was reported to eat Goji berries.
* Contains 19 amino acids the building blocks of protein including all eight that are essential for life.
1. * Contains 21 trace minerals, including germanium, an anti-cancer trace mineral rarely found in foods.
* Contains more protein than whole wheat (13 percent).
* Contains a complete spectrum of antioxidant carotenoids, including beta-carotene (a better source than even carrots!) and zeaxanthin (protects the eyes). Goji berries are the richest source of carotenoids of all known foods.
* Contains Vitamin C at higher levels than even those found in oranges.
* Contains B-complex vitamins, necessary for converting food into energy.
* Contains Vitamin E (very rarely found in fruits, only in grains and seeds).
* Contains Beta-Sitosterol, an anti-inflammatory agent. Beta-Sitosterol also lowers cholesterol and has been used to treat sexual impotence and prostate enlargement.
* Contains essential fatty acids, which are required for the body's production of hormones and for the smooth functioning of the brain and nervous system.
* Contains Cyperone, a sesquiterpene that benefits the heart and blood pressure, alleviates menstrual discomfort, and has been used in the treatment of cervical cancer.
* Contains Solavetivone, a powerful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial compound.
* Contains Physalin, a natural compound that is active against all major types of leukemia. It has been shown to increase splenic natural killer cell activity in normal and tumor-bearing mice, with broad-spectrum anti-cancer effect. It has also been used as a treatment for hepatitis B.
* Contains Betaine, which is used by the liver to produce choline, a compound that calms nervousness, enhances memory, promotes muscle growth, and protects against fatty liver disease. Betaine also provides methyl groups in the body's energy reactions and can help reduce levels of homocysteine, a prime risk factor in heart disease. It also protects DNA.
TYPICAL PREPARATIONS AND
Wildcrafted Berries from China
They can be eaten every day and a typical daily dose range is 8-30 grams.
Goji Berries Herbal Tincture
Extraction Ratio 1:3
Alcohol Vol. 25%
2-4mls up to 3 times a day
Or as recommended by a herbal practitioner.
Not advisable for those taking blood thinning agent walfarin.
Can cause diarreah if taken in excess.
Wolfberries have no toxicity, but should be avoided if one has a spleen deficiency.